Thursday 6 December 2012

Music Post-The Cool For Cats Girls


Squeeze - Cool For Cats by newcanadian

 Really had to feature the original video of this.. I did feature the Top of the Pops appearence in my 80's playlist~(mind you should of featured it a 70's playlist-but Squeeze remind me more of the 1980's really) but not the actual video ..  I actually saw this back when it came out on TOTP's when I was 5 or 6, one of the all time great  appearences on that show, it stuck out in my mind(well it would wouldn't it?!? )
It's kind of a urban mystery this video(much like the Bob Holness playing saxaphone on Baker Street rumour) but for years I've believed that it's Lesley Ash(the blonde girl that is).. but  I may well be wrong (though  I base this upon her been one of the early presenters on The Tube and I guess knowing Jools Holland- I'll have to check Quadrophenia again to see if she has a mole lol  The other rumour is that is in fact Michelle Collins (who played Cindy in Eastenders now in Corrie) which she flatly denies. I get a feeling she'd be too young then , you have to remember Eastenders only started in 1985-this  video was shot in 1978 Cindy would of been around the same age as Ian Beale (who would of been 15 or 16 in 1985)
The Identity of the other dancer also has it's rumours .. bit before my time but Trisha Yates(who I do vaguely remember)  from Grange Hill  had an older sister Carol Yates played by Julia Gale I read  on a forum last night so she may well be the brunette Squeeze girl.. but perhaps they are complete unknowns , they do star in another Squeeze vid , but  they are in background doing the washing up in that one.
Much more Squeeze on my music blog http://blog-to-comm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-big-squeeze.html 
as  I've declared it international Squeeze Day  .

30 comments:

  1. It must of been great to of been in Squeeze around that era-I think blonde girl might be Lesley Ashes older sister Debbie now -seeing as she was in Hot Gossip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ignore the fact that she has a mole - the brunette has one too - highly coincidental and may have been a gimmick for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're well postioned moles lol ...I'll have to see Top of the Pop's appearence to see if moles are intact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i noticed the brunette is also the checkout girl in Depeche Mode's 'See You video'. doesnt have a mole either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Brunette is Imogen stubbs, we are fooled by the hair colour ,mole and age, but definitely her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Brunette is Imogen Stubbs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow-she's a good actress -if I can find any pics of her I'll feature her again -I need to check out the DM video too ,may bring back some memories .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sure that the blonde is Deborah Harry; Squeeze supported Blondie around about this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I thought it was Debbie Harry as well

      Delete
    2. It’s Claire King!

      Delete
    3. Despite the earlier comment Michelle Collins is 6 years older than Adam Woodyatt who was Ian Beale, and she appeared in another Squeeze video, possibly Up The Junction? It’s emphatically not Deborah Harry…

      Delete
  9. She may of -on that tour -but no way is that her here- Debbies kinda short -Cool if she did though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This site cropped up quite randomly but yes, that brunette was Julia Gale who was dating Chris Redburn - of the famed 70's boyband "Kenny" - I think their guitarist used to date Debbie Ash - Julia's brother Peter was a presenter on Blue Peter until it was revealed he had made some rather risky home movies for money when he was at Uni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers for the info -Peter? as in Peter Duncan? I think he was in Flash Gordon-John Noakes was always my fave presenter on BP

    ReplyDelete
  12. So is the brunette Leslie Ashe, Julia Gale, or Imogen Stubbs? It doesn't really matter, but I am curious as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After watching for the checkout girl in the Depeche Mode video for "See You", mentioned previously, I think that it is indeed the same girl - the brunette. Her two front teeth is what I based this opinion on. Now how about that spunky little blond?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The answer may be in Chris Difford's biography Some Fantastic Place which came out last year - that may resolve the question .

    ReplyDelete
  15. the brunette is definitely Julia Gale, no stranger to pop promos of the time, later appearing in 'Bang Bang' (BA Robertson) and 'See You' (Depeche Mode). she also played Trisha Yates' older sister in 'Grange Hill'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll have to check B.A again (I was very young when that came out as with Cool for Cats and Grange Hill) I did see DM vid recently again though glad Dave ditched Bow Tie look lol-Happy New Year Michael

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. After looking I'm with you. You got inside info? Sounds like she did videos and knocked around with bands at the timd

      Delete
  18. From Emmerdale-could be ... Hopefully get to see Squeeze later in the month great support too from Heaven 17 -showing my age here lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Someone answer this it's doing my head in

    ReplyDelete
  20. no inside info -I do know she was in Zodiac Mindwarp videos though and Eat the Rich movie before Emmerdale

    ReplyDelete
  21. Michelle Collins is the blonde girl and she admits during the shooting of the video she was 17 and high as a kite

    ReplyDelete
  22. Imbd list Michelle as backing vocalist on Cool for Cats she's also in the The Up the Junctin video so we may have a winner here

    ReplyDelete
  23. Michelle Collins also says in a press interview she appeared in a Sqeeze video.
    https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/lifestyle/winter-in-the-city/15114043.michelle-collins-i-love-acting-but-i-need-more/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Came across the video by accident on 70's TV. Remember the song really well, but this was the first time I properly watched the video and the blonde dancer reminded me very much of Toyah Wilcox. Her moves in her curent youtube vids with her hubby are v similar. Not sure if ages and timelines fit though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. If the brunette is Julia Gale the blonde looks like Donna Fielding they were both dancers in hot gossip and about the right age for video cool for cats

    ReplyDelete